Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Dad's Surgery


As many of you probably know, my dad has a degenerative lung disease and has been waiting for a lung transplant. Well on Monday that day finally came! While he was at his physical therapy at the hospital, they called him and let him know that they had found a lung and that they would get him into a room to prepare for the surgery (as long as it was a good match). They got him into a room and the waiting began.....

About 1:00 AM they came in to his room in the ICU and took him up to surgery. My mom, Ben, Aaron, Jake, Kasie and I waited anxiously in the Family Waiting room.
The surgery took a long time, and at about 6:45 the doctors came in and let us know that it was official. My dad now has a new lung!

Kasie, and I went home and slept for a couple hours, then went back to the hospital around 6:30 Tuesday night and spent several hours with him that evening. It is amazing how quickly he seems to be recovering. In the morning he was on a ventilator to help him breath and later on in the after noon they took him off that, and now this morning I got word from my mom that he is sitting in a chair and they plan on having him walk around later on tonight. We are very glad that the surgery was successfull, and pray for his continued recovery.

6 comments:

Ashley Smith said...

It is good to hear he is doing well. THat i s ascary thing.

BreathinSteven said...

Hey You Two!!! (Or three, or four if we count Mom & Dad!!!)

Godspeed to your Pop... I hope he's up and walking -- it's freakin' amazing that they would even THINK about shagging someone out of bed after something like that -- but they have to -- and he can do it... I've been there...

It's an incredible gift your Pop received... I hope his recovery goes smoothe and he's able to use it in incredible ways... The idea that a family in their time of grief, would reach out and help someone they've never met -- and you have your father here a while longer, and a lot healthier... It's a beautiful thing...

I'm a little over eight years post lung transplant... I hope in 2016 your Dad will be saying the same thing to someone else... (And I hope I'll be telling someone else I'm a little over 16 years post transplant!!!) I have cystic fibrosis and had a double lung transplant in April, 2000... I learned a few years later that my donor was a precious 17-year-old girl from Iowa named Kari...

I have a website story and tribute to her at www.ClimbingForKari.org and I also blog about organ donation at www.ReviveHope.com

You take care of your Pop -- he's probably got a few bumps in his road ahead of him -- we all encounter some of them... I guess it comes along with the gift... But it's still an amazing gift...

Love,

Steve

Steve Ferkau
Chicago, IL

Kamie said...

Let him know that Alex and I are thinking of him! (And your mom too!)

Becca Jane said...

Wow, that's so scary! We'll be hoping for a speedy recovery!

trixtur said...

Dude!!! Kasie finally made you post hu? But it sounds like she wrote it....

Jer said...

Nope it was me, I am a decent writer contrary to popular belief :P An update for everyone, my dad is still doing well, but they had to put him back on the Ventilator last night. He had a bit of a scare last night when his oxygen dropped to a very low level, and his heart rate increased to a high level, but they got him stabilized and things are moving forward again.