Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Melt down in aisle 3!

Usually when I go grocery shopping over here in Australia (which consists of wandering around aimlessly until I get some idea for dinner), I don't notice too much of a difference. They have different brands and measure calories in energy, but other than that I have been pretty pleased with my local grocery store and have felt right at home among its aisles. Not today.

Someone from Jer's work invited us to a BBQ this weekend and Jer signed us up to bring desserts. Well, since I don't have any baking dishes, or hand mixers, or spatulas, or cookie sheets, or anything that I need to make a dessert, I decided to go with some yummy no-bake cookies. I haven't seen any since I have been here, so I am hoping they may be sort of a novelty.

Anyway, I look up a recipe and head to the store, confident and sure. Some things are straight off - I have already found out where the sugar, oats, peanut butter, and such is. Check. Wax paper takes a little longer, but once I figure out that it is actually called baking paper, I am good to go. So I roam around, gathering my needed ingredients, and even grab my milk and butter. I reach the end of the store, look down at my list, and notice that I am still missing several ingredients - two being the all important Vanilla and Cocoa. Uh oh.

So, I go back to the places I would expect to find them . . . next to the sugar? Nope. By the flour (which is in a different aisle)? Notta. Herbs, spices and oils (another aisle). Nothing. Desserts? Toppings? Still nothing.

I began searching through the store, pouring over every single aisle, desperately searching for my missing ingredients. What if they don't have them here? I already have all of the other ingredients. How long until my milk goes bad? I continue searching and searching, thinking of how terrible it will be if I can't find the ingredients and how much I wish that I could call my grandma or my mom or my sister or any of my fabulous friends and ask if they know of a substitute . . .

And that's when it hit me. The magnitude of exactly how far away I am from everyone that I love. My chest got tighter, my throat clenched, and I could feel the tears surfacing. I was 2 seconds away from ditching my cart and running away. I know it sounds silly, but those dang two ingredients almost brought me to tears in the middle of the super market.

Luckily, I began thinking about everything I've learned about Australia since I've been here. Let's see, cocoa is kinda like hot chocolate, which is a hot drink . . .

That's right, I find my cocoa in the middle of the coffee aisle, surrounded by cappuccinos and teas. After the help of a nice man, I also found my vanilla (it was next to the baking chocolates and such, I just hadn't seen it because it is in a different bottle than back home and looks more like soy sauce). I actually managed to make it out of the store with everything except for graham crackers, which I haven't used in these cookies before anyway, so no big worries.

All I have to say is that these better be some dang good cookies.

5 comments:

Jer said...

Lol! I am sorry it was such a tramatic experience for you hun. Though I am excited to test the cookies. I am sure they will be great!

Kristen Weller said...

I'm sorry! But no-bake cookies are excellent. They are my new favorite treat to make. They seem healthier for some reason- must be all the oats.

Ashley Smith said...

I'm Sorry HUN!!! You are so brave. Love your guts and miss you!

Anonymous said...

yeah!!!! my baby misses me!!! ok so it took cocoa and vanilla to make her understand but I will take it gosh dang it!!! I love you too.....and I will be there soon so we can get lost together

Kenna said...

Oh that just breaks my heart. You are so tough though, you will be able to make it through anything. And what an experience you get to have. Best of luck.