Saturday, January 24, 2009

Aussie Photos - Beach, Bugs, and Buildings!


Pictures of our amazingly adorable apartment - so cute! We are the 3rd one back.


Jer at Mornington Beach - such a cute little town about an hour from our place.



Beach houses at Mornington Beach - they come from the 1830's!




Driving on the left side of the road - scary!



Australia has been great and has presented some interesting adventures - one being creepy crawling bugs! We are currently fighting an ant infestation and I had to kill a coachroach this week! EWWWWWW! The ants are my main concern, though, because they get everywhere (including INSIDE of our pantry!) Any suggestions? It is getting a bit better, but still a pain in the rear!
So . . .
Australia trivia number #1:
See if you can answer the following:
What is a:
docket
nappies
trolley
bather
What is the U.S. equivallent of these stores:
Hungry Jacks
Big W
KFC
Which kind of meat is hard to find in Australia:
Ham
Lamb
Kangaroo
Turkey
Chicken
Beef

8 comments:

Kamie said...

I didn't know you had to kill a cockroach!!!! eeeeww! i would have just screamed and did the potty dance...

Ashley Smith said...

But all your food in plastic containers with lids, then the ants can't get at it. you are a brave woman killing that bug. i would have caught it under something and left it for trev.

Here are by guesses,
docket wallet
nappies kleenex
trolly bus
bather a clean person


hungry jacks mcdonalds
big W walmart
kfc kfc

and I am going to go with ham.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kasie,
Great pictures! Thanks! Docket might be hats. nappies are diapers. Trolleys are buses, bather is a shower. Hungry Jacks is Jack in the Box, Big W is A and W rootbeer. KFC is Kentucky Fried Chicken and I don't think that the Aussie's have turkey. Let me know how I did. I'll try to send you some pictures of the wedding. It was great to see your family there.

Natalie said...

I love love love those brightly colored beach houses....so beautiful :) Unluckily for me, I live in the south which is infested with nasty, nastly large bugs, such as those who should not be named (seen in your post). Keep on posting pictures...I am vicariously living through your blog and your pictures. And PS: thank you for visiting my blog, it makes me feel like I have friends in high places because I have Ausi friends.

Anonymous said...

docket-receipt
nappies-diapers
trolley-grocery cart
bather-car wash
Hungry jacks- walmart
big w-walmart
kfc-kfc
meat- turkey

Anonymous said...

docket - receipt
nappies - diaper
trolley - bus
bather - swimming pool
hungry jacks - arbys
big w - walmart
kfc - kfc
meat - turkey

Nicki said...

Well, I'm not going to play your guessing game because I'm not nearly clever enough to do so (although I'm going to say that nappies are diapers- my step-dad served his mission in the land down under and told me that one once-upon-a-time ago). I'm still super jealous of all the fun you're having- sorry about the bugs though- cockroaches are yucky! I love hearing all of your stories. At some point I need to email you and get on the list of cool people who can blog on the UVU English Teachers blog. Keep on keepin on!

Kristen Weller said...

I can't believe you are in Australia! Very exciting. I think we did mention once that our husbands both went to the Philippines... but who knows?! Steve served in the Bacolod mission.